At least one initiate has died in the province since the start of circumcision rituals two weeks ago.
Chairperson of the Limpopo task team on initiation schools Khosi Vusani Netshimbupfe told The New Age on Thursday the death occurred last week, at Ga-Mashishi village in Sekhukhune.
Netshimbupfe said they were awaiting the postmortem result to determine the exact cause of the boy’s death at an initiation school.
There are 282 cultural initiation schools, catering for a total of 30000 initiates in the province this season, with no other reported deaths.
Netshimbupfe said his task team would again this year work with health workers, traditional leaders and parents of the initiates to ensure the boys’ safety until the graduations,Last year, there were no reported deaths in the 62 initiation schools, catering for 20000 initiates in the province. This has been attributed to the authorised visits to the camps by medical doctors and nurses, and the referrals of some initiates to the clinics and hospitals when necessary.
The provincial department of health has rolled out a massive medical male circumcision campaign as part of the overall protection package in the fight against the spread of HIV-Aids. Dikeledi Magadzi, MEC for health, said.