Kitchen sponge has been found to be the dirtiest places in the household compared to a toilet seat, this according to the newly conducted study.
Conducted by the University of Arizona the research revealed that kitchen sponge was 200, 000 times dirtier than a toilet seat and that germs found on the sponge may cause paralysis to the users.
“It would be fine to use the sponge to wash up with, wiping food off the plates in hot water, but never, never use a sponge to wipe a plate clean. There is a science to this sort of thing, and it's not rocket science. There is a certain amount of common sense,” Professor Hugh Pennington, one of Britain’s leading microbiologists told Daily Mail Online.
According to the study there are about 10million bacteria per square inch of a kitchen sponge and a million per square inch on a dish cloth, reported Daily Mail Online.
Dr. Charles Gerba, professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, leads studies on how diseases are transferred through the environment.
“Toilet seat is one of the cleanest things you'll run across in terms of micro-organisms. We should be more worried about other household items, such as sponges, dish cloths, and reusable shopping bags,” Dr. Gerba.
The study also revealed that Saudi Arabia has the dirtiest fridges, while South Africa had the dirtiest item is the bath seal, with almost two-thirds with concerning levels of E.coli.
Cellulose sponges, because they are primarily made of wood can serve as a medium for the growth of harmful bacteria or fungi, especially when the sponge is allowed to remain wet between uses. Some manufacturers treat sponges with anti-microbial substances to prevent this, according to Wikipedia.org.