Police Minister Bheki Cele and Acting KwaZulu-Natal Police Chief Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi will on Friday return to Chatsworth to respond to the concerns raised by residents following the killing of Sadia Sukraj.
Sukraj, 9, passed away on her way to hospital after she was shot during a hijacking last month when her father was accompanying her to school.
Sibonelo Mkhize, 39, was arrested and has already appeared in court facing charges of theft ‚ kidnapping, highjacking and murder, while the second suspect was killed in a shootout with Sukraj’s father.
According to Cele, police have identified the third suspect in the case who remains on the run and said it is just a matter of time before he is arrested.
A day after Sukraj’s death, Cele and Mkhwanazi visited the area and promised to respond to residents’ concerns within 14 days.
Cele’s spokesperson Nonkululeko Phokane said the minister take the concerns raised by the residents seriously, that is why he decided to go back and respond to their concerns in person.
Phokane said the police are hard at work investigating the case, and that they are hopeful there will be developments soon.
“At this stage, there is nothing to report about the Sukraj case, but I am confident the police are hard at work investigating.”
-Afro Voice Reporter