The Department of Basic Education on Thursday announced that it is scraping off supplementary exams for matriculants.
Department of Education spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said that the supplementary exams will now be replaced by a second exam that will create better opportunities for pupils.
“What was happening is that we found that of those that qualified, fewer registered and those that registered even smaller number came through to the seat for exams.
“Simply because people didn’t have enough time to prepare for the exams. You receive your results in January and you write in February. Which means the circumstances that led to you failing are still the same,’’ Mhlanga told eNCA.
Mhlanga said that this will now open an opportunity for people to write more subjects of their choice.
Previously with the supplementary matric exams, pupils were only allowed to write two subjects during an exam.
He said that with the new exams programme, people could write any number of subjects of their choice.
The new second set of exams will now be written between May and June and will afford pupils over three months to prepare after the first the final year exams.
“Even those that have passed and want to upgrade will now be able to do that,” he said.