#NoExcuse campaign to stick around for a long time

0
59
Picture Supplied

The 16 Days of Activism campaign for No violence Against Women and Children may be coming to an end on Sunday 10 December but the #NoExcuse campaign launched earlier this month is set to stick around for a long time.

The movement which is a five-year initiative, by a consortium of non-governmental and civic organisations that focus on driving positive change among South African men was launched at an event held at the South African Breweries (SAB) headquarters in Bryanston, Sandton.

The #NoExcuse campaign was endorsed by the Minister of Women in the Presidency Susan Shabangu who said the anti-domestic abuse campaign is what South Africa needs.

Shabangu said the company responsible for the manufacturing of alcohol has a great responsibility ahead.

“SAB has a big responsibility ahead because people use its brand as an excuse to be violent. We welcome the initiative to drive positive change in the country.”

Speaking to The New Age the Vice President of marketing of South Africa’s biggest beverage company Andrea Quaye said since its launch, the campaign has made strides in bringing awareness to men, adding that they released a commercial that has been airing on television as a way to obstruct violence against women and children.

“Our brand is consumed mainly by male, that is why we found it fit to reach out to them through this campaign to let them know that there is no excuse for violence,” she said.

According to Quaye the movement was driven by Carling Black Label’s status of masculinity.

“As the largest beer brand in the country it is our responsibility to ensure alcohol is consumed responsibly and to use the power of our brand to challenge South African men to take action.”

Quaye further said that through the campaign they will continue infiltrating throughout the country particularly at local taverns which is a male-dominated space with hopes that it will reach a wider range of men which can, in turn, teach teenagers about being better men.

Radio personalities Robert Marawa and veteran radio host DJ Fresh have joined the campaign launched by the two alongside former Bafana Bafana defender Mathew Booth.

The #NoExcuse movement embarked on a demonstrative march to the South African Parliament, under a clarion call of Ending Gender-based Violence 19 November in Cape Town.

Scores of South African men attended including veteran actor Sello Maake Ka Ncube and Benni McCarthy.

-Nontokozo Gxumisa

 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY