Security beefed up ahead of Barcelona and Sundowns clash

0
1152
Johannesburg Metro Police spokesperson Wayne Minnar says the police have deployed a huge,Picture: Twitter

Johannesburg Metro Police spokesperson Wayne Minnar says the police have deployed a huge number of officials ahead of the much-anticipated match between La Liga champions Barcelona FC and Mamelodi Sundowns at the FNB stadium.

“I can confirm that there’s a huge police presence already around the stadium and I also want to include that the N17 has also been blocked off,” said Minnar.

Minnar said that as result of the road closure, motorists from Soweto were not going to be able to go through the N17 or to access Nasrec.

A transportation hub has also been created next to the Railway station where fans will park their cars for the duration of the game.

”We have got our officers at the checkpoints so anyone who wants to go beyond must have a valid match ticket,” he said

The heightened security comes after fans evaded the Moses Mabhida Stadium last month after Kaizer Chiefs fans was defeated by Free State Stars in the Nedbank Cup semi-final.

This led to the PSL being summoned to parliament to answer on the security measures they put during such big matches.

Minnar has encouraged fans to get to the stadium in time.

Barcelona landed at the OR Tambo International Airport on Wednesday morning for their clash against Sundowns.

The match is played in a commemoration honouring former State President Nelson Mandela forming part of the Nelson Mandela Centenary Celebrations.

The full squad that will face Sundowns is:

Ter Stegen, Cillessen, Semedo, Piqué, Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Denis Suárez, Iniesta, Luis Suárez, Messi, Dembélé, Coutinho, Paulinho, Paco Alcácer, Jordi Alba, Digne, Sergi Roberto, André Gomes, Aleix Vidal,  Yerry Mina, Carles Aleñá (26), Iñigo Ruiz de Galarreta (40) and Jorge Cuenca (41).

-Afro Reporter

 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY